Modifications of Court Orders

Divorce / Child Custody

If your life and circumstances change after your divorce decree or Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR) is final, it is possible to seek a modification of your decree. Court orders affecting child custody, visitation, child support and medical support can be modified if certain requirements are met. 

In general, a Court with continuous exclusive jurisdiction can modify an order if it is in the best interest of the child and any of the following apply:
  • The circumstances of the child, the parent with custody, or the non-custodial parent have “materially and substantially changed” since the prior order;
  • The child is at least 12 years old and expressed to the judge in the privacy of the judge’s chambers a preference for which parent should have custody; or,
  • The parent with custody relinquished custody to another person for at least six months (other than due to military mobilization or deployment).

To schedule a free consultation, call 817-487-3133

Contact Us

If you are unable to visit us or reach us at the office, please feel free to contact us by completing our online contact form below.